"Cage the badger and he will try to break from his prison and regain his native hole. Chain the eagle to the ground - he will strive to gain his freedom, and though he fails, he will lift his head and look up at the sky which is home - and we want to return to our mountains and plains, where we used to plant corn, wheat and beans."


-- Written by a Navajo in 1865


Friday, May 27, 2011

Santa Fe's Cultural Museums

Today, we visited the New Mexico History Museum and the Museum of Indian Arts & Culture which were both very fun and interesting places. However, the most interesting part of my day today was when we met Joyce Negay-Fost, an acclaimed Navajo weaver. I was particularly intrigued with the repeating idea of balance in the things we do and learn throughout the course of our lives and her philosophy, the embodiment of Navajo belief, is one that I take a firm stand on. It was beautiful outside with the weather being warm but breezy. The restaurant we ate tonight was great! I think I am starting to develop a tolerance for spicier cuisines now because of me having a red chile dressing on each of my Mexican meals lol. Overall, the 2011 Spring Unit is going fantastically and I am looking forward to more fun over the next 7-8 days.

-Nick Bilynsky

No comments:

Post a Comment