"Cage the badger and he will try to break from his prison and regain his native hole. Chain the eagle to the ground - he will strive to gain his freedom, and though he fails, he will lift his head and look up at the sky which is home - and we want to return to our mountains and plains, where we used to plant corn, wheat and beans."


-- Written by a Navajo in 1865


Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Adventures of Nick Bilynsky in New Mexico

Both yesterday and today were both part of the adventuras, so to speak, that I have truly been enjoying. However the arid the landscape, the Taos Pueblo contained a richness in history, philosophy, and culture and it is showcased through the many items that the Pueblo peoples were selling in their gift shops. Although I had much content throughout my adventures in the Taos Pueblo Reservation, my favorite part of Spring Unit 2011, so far, would have to be our hike through Bandelier Mountain. The Pueblo dwellings in that region were extremely neat to explore and we witnessed many creepy-crawlies mostly on our way back to the cafe. (Inside note: we watched Pirates of the Caribbean yesterday and it was...interesting I guess lol.) Sorry, I'm getting off topic, anyway, both the Taos Pueblo and Bandelier Mountain were clear manifestations of the richness in cultural, historical, and philosophical significance in the native peoples and in the general area of New Mexico. However, the next three days are probably going to be what I could probably say, our climax of my adventures in New Mexico as we actually get to experience the everyday lifestyle of the Navajo Amerindians. I'm very excited to this and I'm looking forward to more fun and adventure for the rest of Unit. Cheers y'all!!!
- Nick Bilynsky

No comments:

Post a Comment