"Cage the badger and he will try to break from his prison and regain his native hole. Chain the eagle to the ground - he will strive to gain his freedom, and though he fails, he will lift his head and look up at the sky which is home - and we want to return to our mountains and plains, where we used to plant corn, wheat and beans."


-- Written by a Navajo in 1865


Thursday, May 26, 2011

Being Silly in New Mexico.

Hi.. My name is Maggie Bedrosian.
And I am Blogging.......
Starting...
NOW:

I woke up at 6 in the morning to the beautiful view of Hayley Diverio's peacefully sleeping face in front of me. (Apparently she did not have as sound a sleep as I did, with me supposedly sleep-stroking her cheek, and then snoring like a 50-year-old nicotine addict.) After washing the ugly off my face and covering it with makeup, I went downstair with Jess and Hayley, and we had breakfast. We met a man in the elevator. He had a braid that went down to his butt.
Post-breakfast, we went to a local museum where we learned about different aspects of the Native American culture. Our tour guide was an adorable woman. My altitude-induced exhaustion, sausage-like bloated fingers (it must have been the altitude... couldn't possibly be the thousands of calories of tacos and tortilla chips I have consumed during the past 48 hours...), and sore feet were no match against her highly contagious enthusiasm and pride for her culture, and soon I, too, was enthralled in the tour. 

I love Ms. McGrover. She is my favorite teacher.

But anyways, we THEN hopped onto the bus en route a la Santa Fe (throw in some espanol for effect...). At the plaza in Santa Fe, Hayley, Jess and I bought many an item.

We spoke to one man selling his handmade jewelry. He explained to us how he had to make everything by hand in his area (because otherwise he would not be able to sell in the place that he was selling.) He explained how he used to teach children how to make jewelry, but soon he was "broke" and had to keep working.
This man in the plaza spoke about his work, and his culture with such pride. Similar to the woman from the museum in the beginning of the day, this man's undeniable warmth when speaking about his heritage, made me feel like less of an intruder on his culture, and more like a guest :) 
Dinner was awesome. I'm having fun :) 
Love you Zach :)

1 comment: