"Cage the badger and he will try to break from his prison and regain his native hole. Chain the eagle to the ground - he will strive to gain his freedom, and though he fails, he will lift his head and look up at the sky which is home - and we want to return to our mountains and plains, where we used to plant corn, wheat and beans."


-- Written by a Navajo in 1865


Friday, June 3, 2011

For Good

As a familiar song from the musical Wicked states... "I've heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason, bringing something we must learn if we let them. And we help them in return."

I truly believe that each and every person we met on this 10 day journey has touched our lives and given us something to bring back to the east coast whether it be hope, appreciation for nature, patience, etc. 

I think about Ruth living with such an open heart and endless generosity. I want to adapt some of it into my life. I realized, listening to her talk about kinship, that it is something that we all could use a little more of in the society that we live in. Sure, we have our friends and family, but rather than just tolerance of other people, we need acceptance and a welcoming attitude just as Ruth had. 

Judging by what Ms. Bormann said about the texts from Evelyn, I also believe that we came into the lives of Evelyn and Ruth for a reason. (relating back to "and we help them in return.")

However, I don't think that the only people who had a great impact on my experience these past 10 days were Ruth, Evelyn, Andrew, the Cortese's, and the students we met. I think that getting to know you all -as in students/teachers- has also helped me enjoy the experience more and more. Maybe I would have felt this way after spending 10 days with all of you anywhere, but I really think that the places in which we spent them together has helped me see how much I appreciate you all. Part of me is kind of wishing that I had another year at Gill to get to know you more. That is not possible, but I hope everyone will keep in touch with me! 

Hannah and Emily: Have a wonderful time during the next three years! Trust me, it goes fast!

Laura and Nick: Junior year will have its tough times, but you'll get through it and do GREAT! Good luck and have fun :) 

Jess, Sophie, Liv, Natalie, and Jake: Senior year.... woah. I hope you all enjoy your last year of high school! It'll go by so fast. Enjoy it! It's such an exciting time with college and everything. Feel free to contact me if you ever visit UDel :)

Maggie, Christian, and Malcolm: I'll miss you all during graduation. (I hope you miss me too) Good luck next year and I hope we all stay in touch for a long time. Maggie: road trip thing is totally happening. COLLEGE!?!?!?!?!!??! Oh my goshhh!!

Ms. McGrover and Mr. Hodgeson: I never had either of you as a teacher, but I am so glad that I got to know you during this Unit! Thank you so much for making my last Unit unforgettable. 

Ms. Bormann: Words can not describe how thankful I am to you for making this Unit possible. We were able to do things that most people will never be able to do. You made this experience one of a kind. I truly am grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment